Johnson Park Center Celebrates 18 Years With Festivities
Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013
By: Rachel Polansky
Johnson Park Center is embarking on a week-long celebration kicking off tonight! They're marking 18-years of serving the disadvantaged in our community. Daily events will include youth olympics, life-skills training, a kickball tournament and tons of give-a-ways. Coordinators encourage the entire community to come out and celebrate.
"We do different events each day to bring as many community members as we can.. try something new, step outside the box. See what we're doing, see what it's like, have fun together and take care of some needs," says Marques Phillips, Johnson Park Center volunteer.
The Festivities will include:
- Free food and Free activities including the KIND Kickball Tournament and competitions such as jump rope, track races, aerobics, an eating contest and a Pogo jumping contest. Children will be able to play in JPC's inflatable bouncy house and obstacle course, along with being able to participate in other games and activities.
- JPC/JPA program participants and staff along with the JPC Youth Program Leadership Group-the Youth Voice Initiative- will share their reasons why they do not use drugs or participate in any illegal activities. We will encourage the community to embrace peace, love and unity and actively demonstrate that Positive Change continues to happen in Cornhill and in Utica.
- An Education/Life Skills Training, Health and Job Fair to educate the community about the health issues stemming from substance abuse and youth violence while simultaneously making employment and job training opportunities available to Cornhill residents.
- The JPA graduation program participants in the Johnson Park Apartments Safe & Supportive Housing Women & Children's Program & the Chronically Homeless Single Women. The Alumni Graduates have successful completed two years at JPA in the focus areas of Participation, Respect, Independent Living Skills, Single & Family Life Home Management Skills and Interpersonal Relationships.
- Daily Awards Ceremony to congratulate the Youth Olympics winners and on Saturday is the Final Completion Awards Ceremony with all 1st place winners will receive a Trophy.
If you would like to have more information please contact:
Mr. Phillips at (315) 235-5766 or e-mail at email@example.com
or Ms. Gruchy at (315) 734-9608 or e-mail Ms. McCormick at firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Week of Celebration Activities includes:
- JPC Free Food/Building Supplies Give-A-Way: Mon, Jul 22 & Tue Jul 23@ 5pm-8pm;
- The Mohawk Valley Housing and Homeless Coalition Meeting 18 Year Celebration, Accomplishments, Special Recognition: Thu Jul 25 @ 1:15pm to 3:15pm;
- Wedding in Johnson Park, Fri, Jul 27@ 6pm Graduation for persons who participated 100% Daily Training Classes@ Fri, Jul 27@ 7:15pm;
- Kids Kamp Graduation/ Family Day Banquet/ 18th Year JCTOD & JPC Birthday Party/Seed of Hope with The Rev. Meier 25 Years Clean Celebration Sun Jul 28@ 1pm-8 pm.